Semrush is one of the best keyword research tool in the market. But if you want to try out alternatives, there are plenty of tools out there. We bring you some of best alternatives with their pros and cons. Let’s dive in
This platform is one of the best SEO tools out there and is probably the closest competitor to SEMrush when its features are considered. With its site-specific crawling abilities and robust competitive analysis, this SEO tool is ideal for any professional marketer.
- Ahrefs is equipped with a massive database of links and, thus, is an efficient backlink checker. It keeps check of all the new connections and research on the competitors’ links.
- With Ahrefs, you can see all the keywords your competitors are using and get good ranks by analyzing their top-ranking web pages.
- It performs keyword research for as many as nine search engines, including YouTube and Amazon.
- You can see the number of backlinks your site needs for a specific keyword to be ranked.
- It is one of the best SEO tools to find Google Features.
- It has a convenient dashboard that displays all the essential data, including keywords, value, and traffic.
- Unlike SEMrush, Ahrefs does not have keyword metrics such as competitive density, trend, or SERP features.
- It does not suggest internal links and only reports them.
- The traffic statistics shown by Ahrefs is often inaccurate.
- It is not integrated with Google Analytics.
- Without a Disavow tool, you have to manually remove the bad backlinks (if your site receives any).
- You can only use Ahrefs for five projects in the Basic Plan.
2. Moz Pro
Moz Pro is another prominent contender in the field of SEO tools. It has the ideal combination of content marketing and competitive keyword research and analysis. Moreover, it has a straightforward and convenient user interface that makes it easier to navigate.
- You can get all the essential SEO tools such as backlink research and keyword explorer for absolutely free.
- It has an excellent user interface that is much more efficient than Ahrefs or even SEMrush.
- With the help of its open site explorer, you can conveniently track your link profile and get more new link building opportunities.
- You can get reports on weekly crawl updates with data on duplicate content or missing metadata with Moz Pro.
- With the Access MozBar, you can monitor your site’s Page and Domain Authority.
- Keyword rank tracking of Moz Pro is on-point and accurate.
- Few of the Auto-gen visual tables are inefficient when it comes to smaller companies.
- It creates reports much slower than the other SEO platform.
- It has fewer tools about the technical aspects of the site/pages.
- The Anchor Text tab of Moz Pro only looks at Inbound links.
- The paid features of Moz Pro are not as beneficial as SEMrush.
- The backlink database of this platform is quite limited.
The SEO Powersuite is ideal for SEO specialists who want an in-depth analysis of the technical SEO data. It has powerful analysis tools to detect the factors that are contributing to the competitors’ success.
- It can track an endless amount of Keywords.
- You can track up to 40 competitors against each site you’re working on.
- You can automate the critical SEO tasks such as backlink checks and rank tracking.
- The platform automatically adapts to any changes in the primary search engine algorithm via platform updates.
- You can track the ranking of your keywords on over 450 global and local search engines.
- It comes with a link assistant application that looks for link building prospects for your site.
- You have to purchase the full-price license if you want to use the platform.
- It is not an integrated platform, but just a set of tools that makes learning the workflow on this platform a bit hard.
- You have to download software due to its regular updates frequently.
- It requires loads of computing power as it is a desktop-based platform.
- It does not have PPC software like SEMrush.
- It uses a lot of system memory and can slow down your computer significantly.
Ubersuggest is another SEO platform that is a prominent contender for SEMrush. It gives significant features found in the SEO platform’s big players without charging the user a disgusting amount of money.
- The platform comes with multiple pricing plans to cater to customers with specific requirements.
- It has a clear and convenient layout, which is easy to use.
- It has all the functions that are necessary for basic SEO research.
- It can track the competitor’s website and extract its top-performing keywords.
- It creates short reports with simplified metrics.
- It has an efficient word cloud that helps users visualize their keywords.
- It isn’t easy to find data related to specific niche target markets.
- It is only available on the desktop and does not have a mobile app.
- The platform could have added a page scan feature to see the score of pages.
- The result numbers are not always correct with this platform.
- The keywords for top pages are displayed in batches of 10 instead of just the whole list.
This SEO platform is more focused on the competitors’ sites and gives a more comprehensive report than SEMrush with various analytics. It tracks over 5 billion search results and over 80 million domains.
- It has a simple user interface.
- The platform can view a competitor’s data, which is as old as 20 years. On the contrary, SEMrush can only show data from 2012.
- With a higher price, the search results for this platform are unlimited.
- You can get an in-depth breakdown of the top-ranking keywords, Google Ads spending, backlinks, and traffic sources of your competitor.
- It can help you choose the correct keywords for your website.
- You can get valuable insight into organic keyword positions.
- The free version is minimal, and you have to pay to access most of the features.
- It focuses less on analyzing and optimizing the user’s website.
- It does not have a traffic analysis tool like SEMrush.
- The ad spend reports are just an estimate and not the actual value.
- It has a lesser amount of keyword suggestions than SEMrush.
- It isn’t easy to figure out the geo-locations from where the rankings are coming from.
This SEO platform is used to track all the backlinks that point to the user’s site and provide extensive information. It helps them create better backlinks.
- It comes with a unique disavow tool that discovers terrible backlinks responsible for damaging your site’s SERP rankings.
- It tracks the primary keywords of your site and compares its rankings to that of the competitors.
- It notifies you when your competitor website receives a new backlink.
- It gives you more backlink building opportunities.
- It gives you instant notifications whenever new backlinks arise, pointing to your site.
- For what it does and all the features it provides, it is quite affordable.
- It has no keyword research tool.
- This platform’s interface design is not that user-friendly, and the overall user experience is a bit lacking.
- It emphasizes less on the competitor’s backlink analysis and more on the personal backlinking tracking.
- It does not allow custom lists for keyword groups.
- You can filter the data with only a limited few options.
- Even with the advanced plan, you can only monitor four websites at a time.
Google kwyword planner is not a direct alternative to Semrush. However, you can use it to get keyword ideas and approximate search and volume forecast. We have included it because it is a free tool.
- Useful in generating keyword ideas.
- It gives forecast numbers based on historical volume.
- It has the ability to give keyword suggestion from urls.
- It is free.
- It does not give exact search volume.
- There is no backlink analysis option.
- You get very less information on keyword difficulty.
- Very limited competitor website analysis.
- You can’t track growth of your website.
Majestic is one of the oldest SEO platforms out there, and it remains to be one of the most powerful ones. One of this platform’s most popular features is the unique site explorer tool that lets you explore a website in depth.
- It has a massive database of backlinks, which is even more significant than the collection of SEMrush.
- You can create customized reports with data that you deem to be valuable for your website.
- It comes with a unique Clique Hunter feature that gives you a list of sites that have backlinks with your competitors but not with you.
- You can improve your site’s link building by getting a full view of any backlink’s full profile.
- The Keyword checker and rank tracker is accurate and efficient.
- Majestic gives a factual on-site analysis report.
- The backlink explorer of Majestic does not cover all the links.
- The traffic analysis tool is not as powerful as SEMrush.
- The rank tracker is not entirely accurate.
- The tools for keyword research are weaker.
- The graphs which represent the collected data are often hard to interpret.
- ‘It can be quite confusing for beginners and hence has a steep learning curve.
This SEO platform is ideal for professionals looking for an affordable venue with simple and clean UI/UX and efficient and powerful features.
- It has compelling keyword research functionality.
- It has a lot of features that are available for free to its customers. Most SEM platforms, including SEMrush, only allow free operations for a 7-day trial period.
- You can compare as many as 200 domains with the help of the Batch Analysis tool.
- You can easily find out which websites and their webpages are most relevant to any particular keyword.
- It is an excellent tool for practising quick SEO reporting on pages, keywords, websites, etc.
- The UI of this Platform is clean and is laid out in such a logical way that even beginners can quickly get the hang of it.
- It does not have any backlink monitoring feature.
- Unlike SEMrush, it does not have social media tracking.
- It does not have an SEO writing tool.
- The data on the keyword difficulty tool is sometimes inaccurate.
- It has a daily query limit, which can sometimes prove to be quite frustrating.
- The stats for PPC are more than often wrong.
If you are a small business looking for basic and easily understandable metrics, the SEO report card by UpCity is ideal for you. It is free, and it will provide you with all the necessary information to assess your current SEO strategy.
- With this SEO tool, you can see where your website stands in search engine ranks, including Google, Yahoo!, and Bing.
- You can see the number of pages of your website that have been indexed.
- You can check out how easily your site loads.
- It gives you a report on how easily your site is accessible to the crawlers.
- You can see how the main keyword has been implemented across the website.
- It gives you a detailed report on your website’s trust metrics or the level of authority or trusts your website has.
- It does not include more advanced analytical features.
- It is infamous for unsatisfactory customer service.
- It does not have data in the report card for more than one keyword.
- Unlike its competitors, it does not have adequate in-depth SEO tools.
- The pricing is a bit on the higher side, considering the kind of features it is providing.
- There is a minimal amount of additional analysis available in the SEO report.
This SEO platform is more focused on site crawling as it discovers all the weak points in your website where you need to improve your SEO strategy. It is ideal for companies who want a detailed SEO audit before they implement any effective strategy.
- You can discover all the SEO challenges your website is currently facing, including sluggish response times and duplicate website content.
- You can get access to the analysis of a specific target keyword.
- It is quite a comprehensive and all-in-one SEO tool for your website.
- The company is known to offer one-on-one training sessions, which can be helpful for beginners.
- It comes with a backlink analysis tool to see where your website is getting backlinks from.
- It increases website traction.
- The learning curve is a bit steep.
- The interface is not as optimized and can sometimes be a bit clunky.
- Online support from CognitiveSEO is a bit slow.
- You cannot compare multiple websites with the rank tracking tool.
- With the free plan of CognitiveSEO, you only get a short analysis of your competitor.
- You cannot analyze the content gap.
12. SE Ranking
This SEO platform is one of the best options for businesses looking for a budget-friendly option. Founded back in 2014, it now has over three hundred thousand users.
- Users do not need to download hefty software updates as the whole platform is cloud-based.
- It has a highly-efficient Keyword Grouper tool to segment keywords and builds a robust strategy for your site.
- The user interface of this platform is rather friendly and easy to navigate.
- The data of rank tracking of keywords is up to date.
- The On-Page Checker can reveal the current SEO state of your website.
- You can quickly evaluate your website’s backlinks with 15 variables.
- While updating big lists of data in SE Ranking, the application becomes very slow, and the plans take a lot of time to load.
- You cannot find an SEO writer tool on this platform.
- This platform does not include any metrics belonging to SERP features and competitive density and trends as SEMrush has.
- You have to wait for a day before the platform shows you the SEO rankings.
- You can only get access to their API when you have paid the highest plan of SE Ranking.
- Unlike SEMrush, the SE Ranking has much lesser learning resources.
13. KW Finder
This SEO platform is one of the most professional keyword research tools out there. You can effectively search for long-tail keywords with low SEO difficulty. KW Finder is one of five resources of the Mangools Suite.
- The user experience of this tool is optimized, and its loading time is very less.
- It is more affordable than most of the tools in the market with the same features.
- It offers free extensions for Firefox and Google Chrome.
- It provides excellent customer support and caters to the problems of every one of its customers.
- It has a free version that does not require card details for users to access it.
- This platform performs exceptionally well when it comes to analyzing the keyword difficulty.
- Unlike SEMrush, there are not many keywords in its keyword list.
- This SEO platform has no integration with Google Analytics or Search Console.
- It has relatively low limits when it comes to keyword suggestions.
- It is not that efficient in backlink analysis and competitor research.
- The trial limit is too short.
14. Search Metrics
Search Metrics is an SEO marketing platform that offers its users data on advanced analytics, competitive insights, market analytics, and mobile SEO. It has overwhelmingly positive user reviews and is considered one of the most efficient platforms in the market.
- It offers its users quite comprehensive and in-depth data sets.
- With its competitor research feature, you can easily find out which keywords are responsible for the competitor’s website’s rankings.
- You can research an unlimited number of keywords and the total amount of websites.
- You can schedule website crawls with this platform to track the internal optimization.
- You can track the visibility of websites in several countries.
- The Content Experience tool is an excellent way for writers and digital strategists to connect.
- You do not get any free features as everything is paid.
- The User Interface is not that easy to use, and the user might need several weeks to get the hang of it.
- Some of the table columns cannot be sorted.
- The platform’s keyword tool will not suggest alternative keyword search terms when it cannot find any results to the user’s name.
- The keyword reports need more filtering.